Botn, 8250 Rognan
The German war cemetery is situated in a beautiful mature woodland area, one kilometre from the main road (E6) in Botn at Saltdalsfjorden, a little way north-east of Rognan. Here lie buried the German soldiers who lost their lives in North Norway during the period 1940-1945.

The burial site lies in a clearing in a slight hollow in the woods. Access is via a large, symmetrically positioned entrance house, carved from finely-hewn granite. This leads into a large rectangular grassy plain, surrounded by a solid wall made out of broken stone blocks, with grass on the top. On a small raised area along the back edge of the grassy plain, in the middle and facing the entrance, stands a large and dominant cross on a low plinth, both carved from granite and in a rounded-off form. Smaller stone crosses, the same shape as the large one, are placed in pairs all over the burial site. The graves themselves are arranged in rows and are marked by named stone slabs in rows along the slope. The burial site is distinguished by stonework on a large and finely crafted scale.

A Yugoslav war cemetery is situated nearby. The German cemetery was positioned in the same area as the site of a Yugoslav prisoners of war camp during the Second World War.

Year of construction

1960

Architect

Landscape architects Vogler, Munich

Client

The Norwegian State

Building Type

War cemetery, burial site

Construction System / Materials

Stone, grass, tree plantation

Keywords

graveyard
burial site

Map

Share

Botn - tysk krigskirkegård
Botn - tysk krigskirkegård
Botn - tysk krigskirkegård