Andenes
Andenes Lighthouse is situated right next to the harbour in the village of Andenes at the northern end of the island of Andøya. It was first lit in 1859.The red lighthouse is a painted cast iron construction lined with bricks. The load bearing construction was pre-fabricated in Horten, the lantern room was made in Nes near Tvedestrand and both were assembled in Andenes.
The 40m high tower dominates the landscape and is one of the tallest lighthouses in Norway. The lantern has a second order Fresnel lens and some older equipment can still be seen.

In 1999 the cast iron tower, the lantern and some of the surrounding land gained protected status in accordance with the Norwegian Cultural Heritage Act. The Norwegian Coastal Administration maintains Andenes Light Station on behalf of the Norwegian government.

Year of construction

1856-1859

Client

The Norwegian Coastal Administration on behalf of the Norwegian government

Building Type

Lighthouse
residence

Construction System / Materials

Cast iron
bricks
wood

Keywords

Lighthouse

Literature

Bjørkhaug, Birger og Poulsson, Sven: Norges fyr. Fra Stad til Grense Jakobselv (bind 2), Oslo 1987.

Monrad-Krohn, Danckert: Norske fyr. Nasjonal verneplan for fyrstasjoner, Riksantikvarens rapporter nr. 24, Oslo 1997.

Map

Share

Andenes fyrstasjon
Andenes fyrstasjon
Andenes fyrstasjon