Forvik, 8976 Vevelstad
The trading post at Forvik is situated on the narrow plain between the steep mountain Forvikfjellet and the strait separating the mainland and the islands. Originally a farm, Forvik's buildings lie close to a sheltered south facing bay where "jekter" (small wooden sailing ships with one square sail) and other vessels were pulled up for overhaul. Nowadays the bay contains a ferry landing.

Compared to Forvik's golden age during the 19th century there are now relatively few buildings but they are still gathered in groups: the wharf and warehouses down by the sea and the domestic and farm buildings further up.

In 1792 Søren Dass Brodtkorp purchased the farm Forvik and obtained a royal licence to run an inn and trading post. He is regarded as the founder of the trading post even if trading had occasionally taken place before. The property changed hands several times until the Arntzen family took over in 1881 and it has since remained in their ownership.

Year of construction

Nineteenth century

Building Type

Trading post
trading settlement
farm

Construction System / Materials

Wood
log buildings

Map

Share

Forvik handelssted
Forvik handelssted
Forvik handelssted
Forvik handelssted
Forvik handelssted
Forvik handelssted
Forvik handelssted