Reine
Reine Church is situated in the middle of the fishing village Reine on the southeastern side of the island Moskenesøya in Lofoten. Until the 18th century the fishing station was part of the farm Moskenes Gård. It was separated out and the area got its first "væreier" (fishing station owner) with an innkeeper's license. When Erik Lund bought Reine fishing station in 1842, there were around 1000 inhabitants in the Moskenes and Flakstad area. Following the economic upturn during the second half of the 19th century there was a growing wish among the local population to get their own church. Towards the end of the century the new "væreier" H. Sverderup together with the district council and some of the community's better off citizens contributed to the building of Reine's first church.

Master builder O. Scheistrøen from Namsos was appointed to lead the building of a log church with nave, chancel and turret. Reine Church was consecrated on 9 January 1891 by bishop Johannes Nilsson Skaar who decided that there should be four annual services led by a vicar as well as services led by lay preachers and funerals.

Year of construction

1890-1891

Architect

Ole Scheistrøen

Building Type

Church
chapel

Construction System / Materials

Wood
log

Literature

Lindberg, Svein: "Kirken på Reine", in Lofotboka 2005

Map

Share

Reine kirke
Reine kirke
Reine kirke
Reine kirke
Reine kirke