Skip to main content


The Hammerfest Church lies level with the main road that leads to the town from the south. Due to its location, it is easily visible within the urban landscape and from the sea. Lengthwise the church follows the terrain and along the length of the main street. The choir is situated facing southwest towards the sea, while the steeple with the main entrance faces northeast towards the town.

Throughout history there have been many churches in Hammerfest, the first one we are aware of was from 1620. The previous church was burned down when the Germans withdrew from Finnmark in 1944 - it was situated roughly where the hotel is located today. The current church was a part of the large reconstruction project that was inaugurated in July 1961. Hans Magnus, who also designed the churches in Berlevåg and Mehamn, was the architect.

It is a long church with a steeple. The main entrance lies at the foot of the steeple which faces northeast towards the town centre. An elongated baldachin is located above the entrance. The nave has a steep pitched saddle roof with minimal eaves. The roof is significantly drawn downwards into the ground. This is mainly what bestows the church with a triangular form, a form that is emphasised by the concrete beams that lead into the ground. The triangular motif is also repeated with the steeple and the windows on the long side of the building. Hammerfest Church has a seating capacity for roughly 500 persons.

Year of construction



Hans Magnus arkitekt MNAL

Building Type

village hall

Construction System / Materials

Cast-in-place concrete


cast-in-place concrete
gable roof
reconstruction architecture


Hammerfest kirke
Hammerfest kirke
Hammerfest kirke
Hammerfest kirke
Hammerfest kirke