9900 Kirkenes
Aksjeselskapet Sydvaranger (a limited company) was founded in 1906 to extract the extensive deposits of iron ore at Bjørnevatn, 11 kilometres from Kirkenes in Sør-Varanger. During the Second World War, the majority of the buildings were razed to the ground. The work of rebuilding the site was begun in 1946 and A/S Sydvaranger was back in business in 1952.

The sites at Kirkenes are localized on and around the elevated area situated on the southwestern side of the town centre. The buildings standing at Kirkenes today are as follows: the engine shed, mechanical workshop, mill silo, conveyor tracks and pumping station.

The existing buildings at A/S Sydvaranger have all been created in a tasteful and simple architectural style with interesting detail, at the same time as having been built with their functionality primarily in mind. They all display characteristics of sober post-war modernism - where form and use of materials characterize the architecture.

Year of construction

1946 -1960

Architect

Guttorm Bruskeland MNAL
Engineer A. Aass Jakobsen

Client

A/S Sydvaranger

Building Type

Industrial
production site
workshop
offices
storeroom
locomotive shed
(Factory side
mining site)

Construction System / Materials

Reinforced concrete
glass

Literature

Fasting, Kåre: Aktieselskabet Sydvaranger 1906-1956, Trekk fra Sydvarangers historie, Oslo 1956

Map

Share

A/S Sydvaranger - produksjonsanlegg på Kirkenes
A/S Sydvaranger - produksjonsanlegg på Kirkenes
A/S Sydvaranger - produksjonsanlegg på Kirkenes
A/S Sydvaranger - produksjonsanlegg på Kirkenes
A/S Sydvaranger - produksjonsanlegg på Kirkenes
A/S Sydvaranger - produksjonsanlegg på Kirkenes
A/S Sydvaranger - produksjonsanlegg på Kirkenes