9910 Bjørnevatn
The industrial company Sydvaranger was founded in 1906 to extract the extensive deposits of iron ore at Bjørnevatn, 11 kilometres from Kirkenes in Sør-Varanger. During the Second World War, the majority of the buildings were razed to the ground. The work of rebuilding the site was begun in 1946 and A/S Sydvaranger was back in business in 1952.

At Bjørnevatn the industrial area is characterized by mining activity, where the ore is extracted from an open-cast mine. Here there are exposed rocks and site roads that are constructed as required. Characteristic features of the buildings dating from the post-war period are the use of concrete as a material and strong but simple detailing in the wall construction.

The architect Guttorm Bruskeland has designed the coarse crushers, reloading silo and garage site with workshops, while the architects Gudolf Blakstad and Herman Munthe-Kaas have been responsible for designing the mining office.

Year of construction

1946 -1960

Architect

Guttorm Bruskeland MNAL
Ingeniør A. Aass Jakobsen
Gudolf Blakstad og Herman Munthe-Kaas MNAL

Client

A/S Sydvaranger

Building Type

Industry
mines
production site
workshop
offices

Construction System / Materials

Reinforced concrete
glass

Literature

Fasting, Kåre: Aktieselskabet Sydvaranger 1906-1956, Trekk fra Sydvarangers historie, Oslo 1956

Map

Share

A/S Sydvaranger - produksjonsanlegg på Bjørnevatn
A/S Sydvaranger - produksjonsanlegg på Bjørnevatn
A/S Sydvaranger - produksjonsanlegg på Bjørnevatn
A/S Sydvaranger - produksjonsanlegg på Bjørnevatn
A/S Sydvaranger - produksjonsanlegg på Bjørnevatn
A/S Sydvaranger - produksjonsanlegg på Bjørnevatn
A/S Sydvaranger - produksjonsanlegg på Bjørnevatn