The church site was planned and prepared several years before required permits were issued. This preparatory work was accomplished early due to high unemployment, because of many years of unsuccessful fishing seasons in the Lofoten Islands. In 1931, the groundwork commenced and in 1933, a royal decree granted permission to construct the building. The site was donated by Astrid Johansen, Myklevik. At a parish meeting it was decided that the church be constructed of reinforced concrete and have a capacity for 500 people. Subsequently, the executive committee met with the architect S. Brænne from Oslo, who submitted two different designs. The most inexpensive alternative, which had a flat roof, was selected.

All of the framing and casting work was accomplished without the use of machinery. Today this is quite astounding. In this day and age the use of machinery is a necessity. When this church was built, all the concrete was mixed by hand, and to a great extent each piece of material was hand carried by the workers. Since this was relief work, most of the workers were only employed for a period of four weeks. Construction progress was slow, but steady. It is said that when the casting work was completed, and the engineer observed the church from a distance, it appeared that the concrete on the upper part of the steeple had run over. While the engineer stood on the ground, the building foreman climbed up the steeple with a chisel and mallet, chiselling the concrete until the engineer was satisfied.

By late autumn of 1934 the building framing, including doors and windows, was completed. It took over two years before the church was furnished, painted and ready for use. It was consecrated by Bishop Eivind Berggrav in 1937. Both the architect and organ builder were present.

Share

Stamsund kirke