"Krigsgravplassene på Tjøtta" (2 of 5)
The Russian gravesite is the largest and was established in 1953-54. Here rests 7,551 Soviet Union soldiers who lost their lives in Northern Norway during World War II (1940-1945). Initially they were buried at different place, but were later gathered together at Tjøtta. The gravesite is symmetric and centred on an axis that runs from the entrance portal at the bottom, to a large memorial monument at the top of the site. This plan illustration by Karen Reistad was taken from Byggekunst no. 2, 1986, p. 114.