"Hageanlegg på Lurøy gård" (3 of 7)
The Lurøy garden has many characteristics from the Renaissance garden
a clear boundary and symmetric design, connection between house and garden, a parterre (with a strict geometric partitioning of gravel paths and beds), quarter partitioning, plant beds arranged in symmetric and refined patterns, ornamental plants and crops combined, and paths with raked sand. At the end of the gravel path, which acts as an axis through the site, lies the small garden pavilion from the 18th century. The main building from the 18th century burned in 1886, and the axis had its point of origin in the central section of this building. The complex originally had six quarters. Today the geometric pattern is maintained with a cloister and roundel in one of the quarters. The plant beds are bordered by a neatly clipped and edged lawn.