The old dairy at the corner of Grønnegata and Strandskillet was Tromsø's first and played an important role in the development of the town's enterprise and public health.
The two storey brick building faces both streets and the main entrance is located on the chamfered corner. Further, the different shaped windows and the dormer's sharply pointed gable accentuate the importance of the corner. The building's horizontality is underlined by the continuous cornice, the stucco area between the cornice and upper windows, the uninterrupted deep sill hand and the stucco ground storey. Classicist elements are here used to embellish a building whose original purpose was food production.
Completed in 1907 the building was used as a dairy into the 1950s when production was moved to new premises on Strandveien. Currently there's a restaurant on the ground floor and offices on the upper floors.

Year of construction

1905-1907

Client

Tromsøysund meieri

Building Type

Dairy
shop
commercial building

Construction System / Materials

Masonry
brick
stucco

Keywords

Brick
plaster
dairy
production hall
dormer
cornice
classisism

Map

Share

Det gamle meieriet
Det gamle meieriet
Det gamle meieriet
Det gamle meieriet
Det gamle meieriet