Åsgårdvegen, 9016 Tromsø
Åsgård Psychiatric Hospital was the first governmental, centralized and regional institution of its kind to be built in Norway since 1926 and it was designated to serve the counties of Troms and Finnmark. Part of the planning process was a competition between seven leading Norwegian architectural practices working within the hospital sector. In 1954 the proposal submitted by Ketil Ugland and Hans P. Thorne (from Arendal) was chosen and the main principles of the winning project have to a great extent been carried out.

The hospital is situated at the west side of the island Tromsøya with views over the sound Sandnessundet and the mountains at Kvaløya. The main components of the long, stretched out hospital complex are seven pavilions with facilities for patients and separate buildings for administration as well as technical services, all connected by long one-storey corridors. Staff housing is situated to the east of the hospital and to the south is its farm.

Opened in 1962 Åsgård is still a psychiatric hospital and it is now part of the larger organization the University Hospital of North Norway.

Year of construction

1957-1968

Architect

Ketil Ugland and Hans P. Thorne, Arendal

Client

Ministry of Social Affairs

Building Type

Hospital

Construction System / Materials

Concrete
bricks

Literature

Landsverneplan for helsesektoren.

Map

Share

Universitetssykehuset Nord-Norge Åsgård
Universitetssykehuset Nord-Norge Åsgård
Universitetssykehuset Nord-Norge Åsgård
Universitetssykehuset Nord-Norge Åsgård
Universitetssykehuset Nord-Norge Åsgård