In 1960 the bridge was completed, thereby connecting Tromsø to the mainland. At this point, the ferry which had provided all transport across the sound was unnecessary. This permanent connection to the mainland has had large significance, regarding the progression of Tromsø. The bridge is located on the narrowest part of the sound, with one of the connecting points on Storsteinnes (on the mainland side) and the other on Nansenplass, just north of the town centre on the island. This positioning has created one of the most characteristic and recognisable motives of Tromsø. This motif is comprised of three different elements, the bridge, Tromsdalen Church and the mountain Tromsdalstinden.

In length, the bridge measures 1,036 metres. The middle section measures 36 metres in height. It is adapted for both light and heavy road use. The entire width of the bridge measures 8.3 metres, allowing enough room for a sidewalk/bike path on both sides. Once the bridge opened, it was one of the largest in Northern Europe. It also became a model for all bridges made of rigid concrete, built after this time in Norway.

The bridge is a cantilever bridge
this also has significance for the overall design. The tension is supported by slender columns, thus providing a slightly arched form. Erlig Viksjø was involved as the consulting architect for this project.

Year of construction

1958-1960

Architect

Dir.ing. A. Aas-Jakobsen A/S
Erling Viksjø

Client

Erling Kjelden and bruforeningen (later Tromsø Municipality)

Building Type

Bridge

Construction System / Materials

Reinforced concrete

Prizes / Recognition

Betongtavla 1963

Keywords

bridge
reinforced cocnrete
cantilever bridge

Literature

Kristensen, Kåre and Odd Magnus Heide Hansen, Tilbakeblikk, Stavanger 2000, pp. 24-53

Map

Share

Tromsøbrua
Tromsøbrua