Mohus, Misvær
Korshuset (the cross house if translated literally) is a small one storey log storehouse with a turf roof. It rests on pillars made from the lower trunk and roots of pine trees. It consists of two rooms: the first a shallow but well ventilated space where some of the logs of the walls in the middle section have been replaced by vertical planks to allow gaps for air to circulate through and the second inner room is completely enclosed with log walls. Wooden steps lead up to the entrance door.

The timber used to build Korshuset came from an ecclesiastical building originally situated at Øvre Mohus. During the 17th and early 18th century it was used as a temporary resting place for the deceased and the scripture was read in this building when the fjord was covered in ice and unsafe for the parishioners to travel to church. The building was dismantled on the orders of a vicar called Kjeld de Hansen Stub who served the parish in 1720-1724, on the grounds of superstitions being connected to the building.

In 1942 the store house Korshuset was given protected status in accordance with the Norwegian Cultural Heritage Act.

Year of construction

1616

Building Type

Storehouse

Construction System / Materials

Log building, turf roof

Literature

Svendsen, Ola Ø.: Fredede hus og anlegg 1, Oslo 1981

Map

Share

”Korshuset” på Mohus
”Korshuset” på Mohus
”Korshuset” på Mohus