Hamningberg
Hamningberg is situated on the far northern side of the peninsula between the fjord Syltefjord and Vardø. The village sits on the south facing gently sloping land between the beach and the low mountain Harbakken that shelters it from harsh northern winds. There are findings confirming that there has been a year round settlement here since the 16th century, and exceptionally Hamningberg did not suffer the scorched earth treatment when the occupying forces retreated from Finnmark in the autumn of 1944. Hence there are still buildings here dating back to the 19th century. Hamningberg never got a wharf suitable for receiving larger fishing boats, so from the 1920 onwards activity steadily slowed down. The last full time residents moved out in 1965, and the village is now a heritage tourist attraction and a site for holiday homes.

In 1990 the group of buildings that had belonged to the fishing station owner was given protected status in accordance with the Norwegian Cultural Heritage Act.

Year of construction

1800-2000

Building Type

Residence
chapel
fish processing plant
fishermens cabin

Construction System / Materials

Log building
timber frame
timber stud framework

Prizes / Recognition

Map

Share

Hamningberg fiskevær
Hamningberg fiskevær
Hamningberg fiskevær
Hamningberg fiskevær
Hamningberg fiskevær
Hamningberg fiskevær
Hamningberg fiskevær