8230 Sulitjelma
The main office and central operations of the mining company A/S Sulitjelma Gruber were located at a place called Furulund, not far from "the Mons Petter Mine," where the first mine was established.

This site is situated on a steep south-facing slope and has a mild climate. Today this area is somewhat overgrown with dense vegetation, making it difficult to survey the buildings. There are large trees in the gardens and the undeveloped areas. The main office is situated on a knoll and visible from the lake Langvatnet. There are several buildings of architectural interest in this area. The buildings are from the period when there was mining activity at Furulund, which many locals refer to as "the Plush Town". This is where the administrative offices were located as well as private residences (of the director, engineer and official officer). There was also a shop, post office and sickroom. The mine workers did not live at Furulund, their residences were located in Fagerlia and in Sandnes, and at Jacobsbakken where the mines was located (see individual object description). Workers' housing typically housed several families in one unit. At first glance the units were often difficult to distinguish as workers' housing.

Many architects were commissioned by the company A/S Sulitjelma Gruber. Several of the buildings that date from 1915 to 1920 (located at Furulund and other places in Sulitjelma) reflect the style of the architect Erling Nielsen. It was also during this period that the standard of housing was significantly improved. From 1920 Nielsen worked as town architect for Stavanger.

When this area was first developed all traffic was conducted across the lake Langvatnet toward the Fossen Dam, which is located below Hellarmo. During the summer season boats were used, while traffic was conducted across the ice during the winter months. Starting in 1893 ore and passengers travelled overland from Hellarmo and then by boat from Sjønstå on a waterway in the valley. Several years later a narrow track railway was built, originating from Finneid (the shipping harbour) and ending in Sulitjelma. The motorised roadway (RV 830), completed in 1972, follows the railway route.

Year of construction

From the 1890s prior to 1968

Client

A/S Sulitjelma Gruber

Building Type

Outbuildings
offices
residences

Construction System / Materials

Stone
brick
concrete
wooden construction
timber
half-timbered framework
timber frame

Keywords

office
residence
woodwork
timber
half timbering
framework
brick
concrete

Literature

Ellingsen, Hugaas, Einset og Evjen: Fotefar mot nord, Sulitjelma Besøksgruve - inn i bergmannens rike, Bodø 1996

Map

Share

Furulund
Furulund
Furulund
Furulund
Furulund
Furulund
Furulund
Furulund
Furulund