Per Larsens gate 32, 9950 Vardø
The monumental red sandstone building, which goes under the name of Lushaugen (Lousy Hill) in Vardø, was completed in 1922. The building is situated at St. Hanshaugen, a ridge north-west of the centre where townspeople in the olden days used to gather to celebrate midsummer’s eve. The large rectangular building has two storeys, as well as a full-size basement, and the original layout of the space has been preserved to a large extent. The characteristic facades are composed of sandstone blocks of different sizes, with coarsely-hewn surfaces, so-called “råkopp” (excavated).

Because of the level of traffic to Russia, it was decided at the beginning of the twentieth century that the Norwegian state should build a quarantine station in Vardø. The public authorities wanted to gain better control of the health situation regarding those travelling in and out. It was also established as a facility for all the fishermen and hunters coming ashore following a long period up in the ice or at sea. There were washing and delousing facilities. This is the background to why the station was given the descriptive name of Lousy Hill by the people of Vardø. Better general hygiene, the Russian Revolution and the eventual closing of the border led to the station being closed down.

The central area of Vardø was heavily damaged by bombing raids during the Second World War, especially in August 1944, when 214 houses were burned, 122 were destroyed and only 48 remained unscathed, including the Lushaugen.

Year of construction



The Norwegian State

Building Type

Quarantine station, museum

Construction System / Materials

Sandstone blocks, concrete


“Karantenestasjonen på Lushaugen” in Årbok for Vardø 2007.



Lushaugen / Karantenestasjonen
Lushaugen / Karantenestasjonen
Lushaugen / Karantenestasjonen