Polmak
Polmak Church is situated on flat land near the river Tana about 1km from the border with Finland. The white building consists of four parts which reflect the use of the spaces and how it has evolved.

The oldest parts of the church are the two middle sections which is a log construction containing the nave and chancel. This was built around 1850. After WW2 the building was in a poor condition and there was also a need for more space. County architect Trond Dancke in Vadsø was in charge of the renovation and extension, working closely with the Directorate for Cultural Heritage. The old vestibule was removed and a new vestibule, gallery and extension of the nave were created. The extension was built as a wooden stud framework. The turret with the small church bell was moved from the roof of the original nave to the west end of the extension. A sacristy was also added at the east end of the chancel. To give the church a unified look this was clad with wood from the old vestibule.

Polmak Church has a rectangular nave with a seating capacity of 120. Externally it has white painted vertical cladding and pitched black slate roofs. The slates come from Friarfjord in the municipality of Lebesby, which is northwest of Polmak.

Year of construction

1850
1959

Architect

Trond Dancke (1959)

Building Type

Church
assembly building

Construction System / Materials

Wood
log
timber frame

Literature

Blix, Erik Schytte: To grensekirker, Vadsø 1961.

Dancke, Trond M.E.: Opp av ruinene, Gjenreisinga av Finnmark 1945-1960. Oslo 1986.

Map

Share

Polmak kirke
Polmak kirke
Polmak kirke
Polmak kirke
Polmak kirke
Polmak kirke
Polmak kirke