Amtmannsgate 11, Vadsø
The Old Religious Meeting House is situated in Midtbyen in Vadsø, in an area that is strongly characterised by reconstructed building development from the period 1945-1960. The closest neighbouring structures are the community centre and the school. Following World War II, the Old Religious Meeting House was one of the few wooden buildings in Midtbyen that survived. In 1944 the building was damaged by bombs, but was restored shortly after the war. In order to make room for the town's primary school, the building was moved across the street in 1952.

Followers of the Laestadian movement were known for their frugality and sobriety. Both of these qualities are reflected on the building's exterior and architectural features. This simple, rectangular building has three large cross post windows on the long side, that means that the window plane is divided into a cross pattern. On the exterior the building is clad with various types of wooden panelling, and the half-hipped roof is covered with roofing felt. A set of stairs and an entrance door, which has a gable formed decorative crown, are centrally positioned on the short side of the building. The Old Religious Meeting House houses an entrance, stairwell and a small closet along with a large village hall.

Year of construction

1875

Client

Brothers Parish in Vadsø

Building Type

Village hall

Construction System / Materials

Wood
cogging joint method

Keywords

religious meeting house
wood
cog joint
cross window
wood panelling
hipped gable
cross grid window

Map

Share

Det gamle bedehuset
Det gamle bedehuset
Det gamle bedehuset