Hvitstendalsgate 31, Vadsø
The Esbensen residence was a trade house from the middle of the 19th century. Rasmus Galberg Esbensen (1827-1914), who was of Danish descent and a merchant in town, built the farm. The complex is located in Exterior Kvenby in Vadsø, in an area that was not destroyed during World War II, and is characterised by wooden buildings. It is comprised of a main building and several outbuildings surrounding a courtyard which is otherwise enclosed with a tall plank fence. The residence is the only existing complex, of this type, in Finnmark that was not destroyed during World War II.

The dwelling house was made using the cogging joint method and was completed in 1849, but was renovated and expanded in 1870. At this time an outbuilding, with a stable, barn, servant's quarters and wagon shed, was also erected. The reconstruction in 1870 led to the alteration of the building's appearance. Originally the dwelling house had a symmetric main façade overlooking the sea, and the entrance was positioned in the centre. The dormer was narrower than it is today and the cogging jointed house was not panelled. Today the entrance lies on the west end of the house. The façade is no longer symmetric, since an annex with two bedrooms was built on the east side. In addition, the dormer was also expanded and the house was clad with horizontal panelling. The building still has a quality that reflects the Empire style, with the portal and the windows that have a central post and three panes in each frame.

Today the farm is owned by the Vadsø Museum/Ruija Kven Museum and was declared listed in 1990.

Year of construction

1849 until approximately 1900

Client

Rasmus Galberg Esbensen

Building Type

Residence
museum

Construction System / Materials

Woodwork
cogging joint method

Map

Share

Esbensengården på Sletten
Esbensengården på Sletten
Esbensengården på Sletten