The long distance to the nearest church, approximately 60 km (38 miles) by sea north and out to Skjervøy, was the reason why a chapel was desirable in Rotsund. But the plans for the church also had to travel a roundabout route before they were completed. The idea was allegedly raised as early as 1860, but it was first agreed by the municipal council of Skjervøy that this building work should be carried out in 1887. Two years later, the plan was deferred by the municipality on economic grounds and there were repeated deferrals on the same grounds right up until the chapel was eventually finished in 1932. By that time, both a church project in “bedehusstil” (“bethel style”) and designs by architect Ryjord in Trondheim had also been investigated. In addition, promised state support had slipped away because the building work went on for too long. Following the unusually large-scale and extended involvement of the building committee, the church was at last built using assembled means and donations, together with a lower state contribution. State support amounted to only about a quarter of the costs, while the municipality did not pay anything.

Share

Rotsund kirke