Well sheltered on the headland terrain about two hundred metres east of the farm-yard is the peisestua (garden house with a fireplace). Schaanning completed the peisestua after his young wife Elsa died. The present-day version is a reconstruction (1978) of what had been the ornithologist’s work-room, originally built in 1907-1908. The turfed building has been put to many uses over the years, from research hut and overnight accommodation for log truckers to hiding place for Finnish refugees during the Winter War of 1939-1940. The room is built like a combined house and gamme (Sami turf dwelling), and on two of the walls there is still the original boarding from 1907. The pyramid-shaped roof is clad with turf and the walls are surrounded by mounds of earth right up to the eaves on three sides. On the entrance side there are two rectangular windows under the roof, as well as a cog-jointed porch. Schaanning had the idea of building in this way during an overwintering on Novaja Semlja during the winter of 1902-1903.

Outside the peisestua stands the Elsa Stone, a stone with the inscription ELSA. The stone was laid by Hans Schaanning at the couple’s residence on the eastern side of the river (then in Finland, now in Russia) before he moved to Noatun. After many years in exile, the stone was moved to Noatun in 1974.

Share

Noatun