The yard of the vicarage is situated to the north of the two churches, on a small rise. This rise is the result of remains from a number of previous structures that were destroyed over time. It is partially comprised of residuary sedimentary deposits, most likely from the Middle Ages. It is not unreasonable to assume that the yard of the vicarage has been a part of this site since the time the stone church was built.

Changes performed during the 20th century, concerning the operations of the vicarage, led to the eventual dissolution of the old yard, which had previously been encircled by buildings. Currently it is completely open towards the mountains and the country road in the east. Old photographs depict an open, square-shaped yard where the buildings surround a flat courtyard, with a downward slope on the outer side of the buildings. Still standing along the west side is the long dwelling house. Sections of it are from the 18th century. On the north side of the dwelling house, there was an annex adjoined at a right angle. It contained outbuilding functions, including a potato cellar and outside lavatories. This section was torn down before World War II, and in its place, a garage for the vicarage was built. Along the south side of the yard, there are two storehouses on pillars dating to approximately 1750, both built of cogging jointed timber. Along the east side of the yard, there once stood a large house used for the servants that was torn down in the 1950s. Parallel to this house, located right behind, once stood the old stone barn with haylofts above. It was most likely torn down in the 1920s, when the newer outbuilding was erected to the northeast of the old yard. To the north of the yard, a new tenant farmer's house was built in the 1950s.

Share

Gildeskål prestegård