Skrova is both the name of an archipelago and a fishing village in Lofoten south east of Svolvær. The archipelago consists of two main islands, Storskrova and Heimskrova, and a number of smaller islands and islets, many interconnected by bridge or breakwater. The village Skrova can be reached by boat from Svolvær and Skutvik on the mainland.

Skrova Light Station is situated on the islet Saltværholmen and was established in 1922. Easily visible from the fishing village the light station also enjoys spectacular views towards the mountain chain Lofotveggen, Kabelvåg and Svolvær. The station's buildings are gathered in a cluster at the highest part of the islet and consist of: a red and white lighthouse
two engine sheds
several outbuildings
an oil storage building and three keepers' cottages. The latter all have fibre-cement cladding and pitched slate roofs. A concrete path leads down to the boathouse and the reliably accessible landing place. Skrova Light Station became the last fully manned light station in the county of Nordland, but it has not had full time resident staff since 2005.

In 1999 Skrova Light Station was given protected status in accordance with the Norwegian Cultural Heritage Act. The listing covers all buildings and a surrounding area.

Share

Skrova fyr