During the autumn/winter of 1944/45 most of Finnmark's mountain lodges were destroyed while the occupying forces retreated, but already in January 1946 a consignment of 8 ready-cut log buildings were sent to Finnmark. They were designed by the architect Øyvind Larsen who worked for Riksarkitekten (this institution is no longer in existence), which dealt with reconstruction buildings at a national level. The regional official architect, the "distriktarkitekt", made the necessary site-specific adjustments.

The eight new log buildings were distributed as follows:
Ravnastua Fjellstue:
2 buildings (a keeper's cottage with rooms for general visitors, a cottage reserved for officials)
Mollesjohk Fjellstue:
2 buildings (a keeper's cottage with rooms for general visitors, a cottage reserved for officials)
Sjusjavre Fjellstue:
2 buildings (a keeper's cottage with rooms for general visitors, a cottage reserved for officials)
Nattvatn Fjellstue:
1 building
Solvomi Fjellstue:
1 building (keeper's cottage)

The new one-storey buildings were typically around 70m2 and consisted of three rooms. The layout was adjusted to local requirements and all have since been extended and altered.

The mountain lodges that had keepers were also smallholdings as this was essential for their food supply. In the lodgings for travelling officials the keeper would supply water, heating and food as required, whilst the common travellers were just offered a bed without bedding and basic cooking facilities as well as having to fetch their own water and fuel.

Share

Mollesjohk fjellstue