Kumpulagården is situated in the eastern part of Vadsø called Ytre Kvenby (Kven is the part of the population who are descendants of Finnish immigrants). The properties lay side by side as a village structure along the road, which again was parallel with the shore. The house was typically parallel with the road, the outbuildings were at the back and there would be a warehouse on the waterfront. This part of town was established by Finnish immigrants who arrived during the middle of the 19th century. The deeds of what is now Kumpulagården are dated 1850. The original building housed both the people and their livestock under the same roof. This combination is often called a Varanger house as it is typical of the region. In this particular case the livestock resided in a side-wing at the back of the house, which has since been demolished and replaced by a free-standing stable. The warehouse has also been demolished.

The farmstead Kumpulagården was given protected status in accordance with the Norwegian Cultural Heritage Act in 1990.