Since 1930 the Tjøtta Farm has been owned by the Norwegian government and used as a station for sheep breeding and plant research. It comprises the remaining parts of the large and old estate Tjøttagodset. Hårek resided on Tjøtta during the 11th century
eventually the estate became the church's property, before it became crown land (property of the king) during the reformation. Eventually the estate was transferred to private owners - and the Brodtkorb family owned the property from 1767 until 1930.

The buildings are situated on a small rise - around an open and rectangular yard, where the church and graveyard form the northern side. Forming the southern side is the main building along with the other houses. Today there are many different buildings from the 19th and 20th century on the farm and only a few are mentioned here, namely "låna" which is the oldest building that stands today (18th century). The main building and the storehouse are from 1870. In the 19th century there was a magnificent garden on the Tjøtta Farm. The large old trees that surround the main building are remnants of this garden. In front of the building there are also vestiges of the garden equipment, such as the fountain, planks and buttresses. The Brodtkorb family's private gravesite is located to the west of the yard, adjacent to the classified road that runs through Tjøtta.

The area north of the yard is rich in archaeological cultural monuments.

Share

Tjøtta gård