Situated on top of the hill Harstadgårdsbakken lies the old farm Kaarbøgården. Today the farm is no longer in operation, but the buildings and garden are preserved. There has been a farm here since 1649. Originally it was the residence for the district recorder Jens Pedersen Hind. However, the original farm buildings have either been torn down or destroyed by fire. Wilhelm Kaarbø bought the farm with the buildings in 1842. Ever since then the farm has remained under the ownership of the Kaarbø family. This farm was where Rikard Kaarbø, the founder of the shipyard Kaarbøverftet, was from.

Today the yard is comprised of three buildings, with grandmother's cottage from 1887 and the storehouse on pillars from approximately 1890 as the oldest. The main building is from 1920, with incorporated parts from 1880 and 1900. The buildings are surrounded by large trees - ash, birch and larch. There are also fragments of the old garden structure and garden plants.

Share

Kaarbøgården