Skip to main content


The Narvik Town Hall has a majestic, monumental form and a prominent position by the town square, centrally located in town. Central sections of Narvik were destroyed during World War II. Therefore most the town centre had to be reconstructed. The organisation Redevelopment of Areas Destroyed by Fire (BSR) made a design sketch for the new town hall. However the town council was not satisfied and in 1948 an architecture contest was sponsored. It was won by Bjarne B. Ellefsen (b. 1915) from Lillehammer. The final design of the town hall complex was submitted in 1955, but construction of the town hall, which comprises an entire district block, was divided into various phases. The town hall was completed in 1961, while the Ankeret Cinema and the E-verks blocks were opened in 1972.

The town hall district is comprised of clearly defined sections. The actual town hall building is a majestic and clearly defined eight-storied volume, with the town council hall next-door. The E-verks blocks are situated parallel to the actual town hall, but are only half as tall. Forming a low-rising block, the cinema and the town council hall lie on the brink facing the green area alongside the railway - this block connects the two together. The entire complex lies along the street Kongens gate, which is the main street in Narvik and at the same time the main traffic artery (E6) running through the town. In order to create two public squares, the blocks were arranged in this way. Both squares are positioned like two green parks facing the street Kongens gate. The building mass has a uniform design where the façades are either covered with brick or plastered. Today the town hall district area appears like a uniform building complex and has distinct architecture. This is typical of costly buildings from roughly 1960.

Narvik rådhus