Muségata 2, Tromsø
The Tromsø Gallery of Contemporary Art is located in a park area, independent from any other structures, in the southern part of the Tromsø town centre. Buildings in the surrounding area are complex and characterised as both older residences and newer buildings with different functions. This building was constructed in order to house the Tromsø Museum, in conjunction with Tromsø's 100 year anniversary celebration, in 1894. Eventually in 1961, the museum was relocated to another premise, situated on the southern part of Tromsø Island. After the museum moved, the building was used for various cultural purposes until the Tromsø Art Centre took over in the 1980s. At the same time this occurred, the Tromsø Gallery of Contemporary Art started its business here.

The building is an example of Classicistic architecture from the last part of the 19th century. The façade is symmetrically designed, with a centrally situated porch that terminates with a triangular gable. A monumental flight of steps marks the entrance to the building. The first storey has imitation ashlars between the windows. On the second storey, the walls are smoothly plastered. The façade's termination near the ceiling is marked by a tooth-like incised band. The second storey windows are tall and terminate with arches and adorned consoles.

Year of construction

1892, consecrated in 1894 (reconstructed in 1981)

Architect

Lars Solberg
Wihelmsens Arkitektkontor AS
Richard Kirkpatrick MNAL

Building Type

Museum

Construction System / Materials

Brickwork
brick

Keywords

museum
masonry
brick
classicism
dental band
console

Literature

Byggekunst 4/1982, pp. 178-179

Hegstad, Sveinulf (ed.): Fotefar mot nord. Byvandringer, Tromsø Tromsø (year unknown), p. 47

Map

Share

Tromsø kunstforening
Tromsø kunstforening
Tromsø kunstforening
Tromsø kunstforening
Tromsø kunstforening