Havøysund Church, built in 1960, is a rectangular church with seating for 300 people. In the old tradition, the choir faces east and the main entrances faces west. The covered entrance, porch and choir, with its sacristy on either side, form their own spaces, which are lower and narrower than the church space itself. The walls are built of stone / concrete, which are whitewashed on the exterior. The characteristic gable triangles and ridge turret are clad with horizontal, dark-stained wooden panelling. The church has a gable roof and the steep roofing areas are decked with square tiles. A mighty ridge turret towers above the church space with elements that taper upwards, and the steeple spire is copper-clad. A ridge turret resting on the construction itself was usual in stave churches and churches in the Middle Ages.

The windows are small-paned throughout the building and in the nave they are gathered to form a characteristically large area on both of the long walls. The church architect was Esben Poulsson (1907-1974), son of the architect Magnus Poulsson in Oslo.

The church was inaugurated in 1961 by the county priest for Finnmark, Alf Wiig. He led the work of rebuilding the churches in Finnmark after the Second World War, when 27 churches and chapels were completely destroyed and 16 rectories burnt down. Temporary huts were built to begin with, so that the authorities' work could get going again as quickly as possible. Such a hut was built and used at Havøysund until the new church was inaugurated in 1961. The rectory, which is situated beside the church, was built in 1951 and served as
housing for the priest and his family until 1984. This now houses the Måsøy Museum collections.

Share

Havøysund kirke