The largest warehouse, 'Storsjåen', is flanked by two smaller warehouses, which are situated with the gable ends facing toward the sea. The two oldest storehouses (to the right in the photo), 'Tranbua', and 'Saltbua', were most likely built in the 1840s by Eylert Nicolay Bordtkorb and Andreas Esbensen Brodtkorb, who founded the Brodtkorb dynasty in Vardø, roughly in 1830. During the last part of the 19th century, these stately warehouses were a part of the trading firm's production and storage area, and a centre for Pomorian trade. Russian Pomors were employed here each summer, prior to 1917. The Russian inscriptions found on the walls, which are either carved into the wall or written with tar, are still visible.

The two oldest storehouses, which today are painted red, have large built-in porticos on the north side, facing the bay. On the first floor, an enclosed corridor provides access from one building to the next. Each storehouse has eaves which cover a crane, a double wooden-wheel. One such lift is still preserved in one of the warehouses.

According to a sketch from a development plan dated 1866, the two oldest storehouses were used as a place for salting (hence the name 'Saltbu') and for producing cod liver oil (hence the name 'Tranbu'). The third building, which is located closest to the bay, has somewhat smaller dimensions compared to the two oldest structures. However, it is situated in the same way, with the gable facing toward the sea. It was most likely built at the end of the 19th century, and was used as a cooper's workshop (among other things). The foundations of all three buildings are partially laid in the sea, on a timbered bulwark and on piles.

Share

Brodtkorbsjåene