The Buksnes Church has a monumental location. It towers above the town of Gravdal on the crest of the hill Korshaugen. This snug community has at least 2,000 residents and is situated at the base of the Buksnesfjord. Gravdal is located on the island Vestvågøy, the second largest island in the Lofoten archipelago. The Buksnes Parish has been a church community for several centuries
the parish was first mentioned in written sources dated 1324. Exactly when the first church was erected, where it was situated and who the architect was, remains uncertain. It is believed that the church was constructed during the Middle Ages.

Today's church is tall. Standing on a hill, it towers above the village. Due to its "roof upon roof" design it resembles Norwegian stave churches. The structure was constructed of cogging jointed timber, or planks, which are externally clad with horizontal red panelling. Exterior framework is painted white and moss green. Above the entrance to the church there is a large ridge turret or steeple. It is composed of several formal elements which retreat into multiple tiers. The building has dormers on each end, and all of the roofs are slate covered. Ridge mouldings, with an open-worked pattern, adorn the roof ridges which are terminated with dragon heads above the gable points.

The church has a basilica plan and a narrow low-rising choir. This basilica structure is a long church with a tall central nave and low-rising side aisles. Poles support the central nave walls, which have clerestory windows.

The Buksnes Church is on the cultural preservation list of the Norwegian Directorate for Cultural Heritage.

Share

Buksnes kirke