The Hamnvik trading settlement is located on Rolla, one of the two islands that make up the Ibestad Municipality. Located in a small cove directly south of the village Hamnvik, lies the old tradingplace. It is surrounded by lush nature and has an extensive view of the Astafjord and the island Andørja. Hamnvik is one of the few trading settlements in Northern Norway that has retained its original buildings and character. Some of the structures were built at the end of the 18th century. The buildings are situated on an east facing slope down by the sea. At the edge of the sea lie the two wharfs along with the quay, and a shop right behind. The two farmhouses are located on the north side of the sloping yard, along with a storehouse on pillars, bakery, pressing house (where the laundry was ironed) and a small firehouse on the south side of the yard. The residential houses are painted white, while the wharfs and outbuilding are painted in a traditional ochre colour with white window frames.

Hamnvik trading settlement was established by Jens Bing Dons in 1794. He was a pharmacist who moved up north to Ibestand from Trondheim when he was 20 years old.

Hamnvik trading setttlement was declared listed in 1942.


Hamnvik handelssted