The storehouse was originally built beside the main house, but was moved further away from the house during restoration work in 1950. The red-painted storehouse is built of cog-jointed timbers and has rough panelling on its front side. The storehouse is single-storeyed with a loft. On the short wall that extends down towards the driveway there are two small windows, one lower down and one up in the storehouse loft. On the other short wall, which extends down towards the courtyard, there is an entrance section with a solid door and a small, four-paned window. Here there is vertical panelling at ground-floor level and horizontal panelling at loft level. A storehouse bell is positioned on the slate-tiled gabled roof.

The storehouse provided food storage for the farm. Here there were large corn bins, and an area for making lefser (cakes made of thin pastry, folded and spread with butter and spices) and flatbread, as well as for hanging up cured meats. The cobbler who travelled from farm to farm had his own space for mending shoes
there was also space for storing tools, skis and sledging equipment. In the storehouse loft stood beds for overnight accommodation during the summer months, when there were many extra workers on the farm. Today, this overnight accommodation is still available in the storehouse - something which is especially popular with bridal couples after the wedding celebrations in the "cowshed".

Share

Røkenes gård