"Svenske kyrkan" (6 of 7)
The Church of Sweden started its missionary activities in Narvik in 1947 and moved into its new purpose built premises in 1950. Due to the extensive export of Swedish iron ore from Kiruna via Narvik's ice free port, many ships with Swedish crews came to town and the church provided valuable welfare services. During the 1970s ships began to sail under flag of convenience and the crews changed to an increasingly mixed international demography. By the late 1990s the Church of Sweden decided to end its engagement in Narvik and sold its premises to Narvik Town Council.