In 1945 architect Knut Knutsen (1903-1969) was commissioned by Gustav Moe to design new business premises on the site Moe was allocated after the bombing of Bodø in 1940. The building was completed in 1949. It is centrally located near the town square in Bodø, which is designed by Gudolf Blakstad and Herman Munthe-Kaas. In 1956 the town square obtained its final design, but it never became a market square, it remained a rather simple public square.

Gustav Moe is an L-shaped building that is located on the eastern end of the town square. It is a two-storied building in addition to having a pedestal on the gable side down towards the street Sjøgata. The building is constructed from reinforced concrete and plastered - something that was a common building method and way to handle the façades during the reconstruction period. Yet it has a somewhat softer character than the remaining reconstructed buildings in Bodø - through the use of bay windows on the second storey and a varied use of material.

Share

Gustav Moe