Free Web Counter
english  norwegian 



Nybyen ( New Town)
The shop was the last building to be completed in the original Nybyen in 1948. Like the other buildings it is also rectangular, with a gently-sloping gable roof and pile foundations. It is built over two storeys, with an additional loft level. It is a wooden building with two lengthwise rows of load-bearing pillars in the middle of the building. The exterior cladding has vertical boarding at ground-floor level and horizontal upstairs. The former shop is perhaps the building in Nybyen that has been most faithfully restored to its original appearance, with the boarding in two different directions and both storeys retaining two-light, small-paned windows. But even here a modern door section has changed the appearance of the entrance. In 1977 and 1983, a single-storey extension with a flat roof was built onto the shop in two building phases. This was not in harmony with the original shop. The shop ceased trading in 1992, and today the building is used as a workshop for a number of artists, while the extension now houses Galleri Svalbard.

Photographer: G.S; W.F.S.

Contact  » About the Architecture Guide  »
Academic Responsibility: Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences and Education, Department of Culture and Literature
Developed and arranged by The University Library of Tromsø
© 2004 - The University Library of Tromsø

Powered by 4images 1.7
Copyright © 2002