Free Web Counter
english  norwegian 


 Alfheim svÝmmehall

Alfheim svÝmmehall ( Alfheim Swimming Pool)
Address: Alfheimveien 23, TromsÝ
[View map]
Architect: Jan Inge Hovig arkitekt MNAL
Client: TromsÝ Municipality
Construction System /
Reinforced concrete; glass
Building Type: Swimming pool; village hall
Keywords: swimming pool, reinforced concrete, glass, ribbon windows,
Year of Construction: 1965
Alfheim is situated on the crest of a steep slope, in a residential district above the TromsÝ town centre. It is easily seen from the TromsÝ Sound and from the mainland towards the east. The building was designed by Jan Inge Hovig (1920-1977), and is located where the slope crosses over into a flat terrain. This is also where the parking lot and greenery are situated. The building is distinguished by both an apparent floor plan and robust moulding. It also distinguishes itself from the surrounding low-lying residential buildings through its sculptural quality. Two main volumes coincide with one another - firstly the pool room itself, and secondly a volume comprising the locker rooms, gymnasium and assembly room.

The pool component has large glass walls, which terminate with a tapering roof. From the building's exterior, the roof appears to be hovering in mid-air. This is strengthened by a subtle inflection, at the point where the two buildings coincide with one another.

The rest of the building is more closed in design, with white plastered reinforced concrete walls, a flat roof and a narrow window band. The building's form and materials demonstrate a kind of functional division, with the locker rooms, gymnasium, meeting room and assembly room in the lower section, while the swimming pool is in the upper open section.

Since the 19th century, Alfheim has been a gathering place for residents of TromsÝ. In 1895, the Temperance Society built its first communal hall where the swimming pool is located today. The vicinity was a combination of an outdoor theatre, place of recreation and public park. However, during the economic hardship of the 1930s, it became difficult to keep the operation running. Subsequently, at the end of World War II, recreational activities in the "town's large sitting-room" ended. Eventually as the premises declined, everything was torn down.
Literature: Byggekunst 7/1990, p. 388
Tjelmeland, Halvard, TromsÝ gjennom 10000 Śr, bind 4, TromsÝ 1996, pp. 444-445
Publisher: The University of TromsÝ, 15.11.2004
Author: M.D; T.A
Photographer: J.M.B 2003; T.A; H.S 2004

Contact  » About the Architecture Guide  »
Academic Responsibility: Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences and Education, Department of Culture and Literature
Developed and arranged by The University Library of TromsÝ
© 2004 - The University Library of TromsÝ

Powered by 4images 1.7
Copyright © 2002