Free Web Counter
english  norwegian 


NORDLAND - TROMS - FINNMARK - SVALBARD

 Kjerring°y handelssted

 
Kjerring°y handelssted ( Kjerring°y Trading Settlement)
Address: Kjerring°y
[View map]
Client: Christian Lorentzen Sverdrup; Erasmus Benedikt Kjerschow Zahl
Construction System /
Materials:
Post and beam construction; cogging joint method; timber; woodwork
Building Type: Trading settlement; farm site; fishery; museum
Keywords: trading settlement, farm, museum, fishery, post and beam construction, log construction, timber, woodwork, empire style,
Year of Construction: 19th century
Through both films and books Kjerring°y has become the archetype of a Northern Norwegian trading settlement. This site is idyllically situated on Kjerring°y, roughly 40 kilometres north of Bod°. Located between the settlement and another small island is a narrow sound which provides a safe harbour. The buildings lie in a U-shaped cluster near the edge of the sea, with the main building situated parallel to the shoreline. In 1942 the complex was declared listed. The complex is comprised of fifteen buildings, which were constructed beginning early in the 19th century until roughly 1880.

Kjerring°y has been a trading settlement since the beginning of the 17th century. Many of the buildings that are currently located on Kjerring°y were built by Christian Sverdrup, such as the two-storied main building designed in the Empire style. Another central figure associated with this site was Erasmus Zahl, who took over the operations in 1858, when he married the widow Anna Elisabeth. Since the 1820s this site experienced stable growth, reaching its peak under the ownership of Zahl. What is referred to as "Storsildtida" (the Large Herring period) occurred during the period 1864-1974. This was a pinnacle time for both Kjerring°y and a number of other trading settlements in Nordland.

The warehouse Heimbrygga is situated out at sea, to the left in the photo. It was constructed in approximately 1820, and is one of the oldest structures at the trading settlement. This warehouse was erected with post and beam construction and has vertical panelling on the exterior and a saddle roof. To the right of the white painted main building lies the small boathouse Litjnaust, which was erected around 1850, along with the ochre-yellow coloured pigsty Grishuset,which was built in 1882.

ôThe New Barnö was built in 1992-96 on the same location as the previous barn. The old barn was demolished in 1892. ôThe New Barnö includes an information hub, a cafÚ and a workshop amongst other things. The architect of ôThe New Barnö was Gisle Jakhelln on behalf of BOARCH architects AS.
Literature: Brekke, Nils Georg, Per Jonas Nordhagen and Siri Skjold Lexau: Norsk arkitekturhistorie, Oslo 2003 pp. 183-185.
Svendsen, Ola ě.: Fredede hus og anlegg 1, Oslo 1981, pp. 52-55.
Valebrokk, Eva and Geir Thomas Risňsen: Norske slott, Herregňrder og gods, Oslo 1997 pp. 400-411.
Publisher: The University of Troms°, 09.11.2005
Author: T.A; H.S
Photographer: Jiri Havran; H.Su 2004



Contact  » About the Architecture Guide  »
Academic Responsibility: Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences and Education, Department of Culture and Literature
Developed and arranged by The University Library of Troms°
© 2004 - The University Library of Troms°

Powered by 4images 1.7
Copyright © 2002