Free Web Counter
english  norwegian 


NORDLAND - TROMS - FINNMARK - SVALBARD

 Lærerskolen

 
Lærerskolen ( Tromsø University College, Department of Education)
Address: Mellomveien 110, Tromsø
[View map]
Architect: Georg Rhode; John G. Horntved; Terje Jacobsen
Client: Statens bygge- og eiendomsdirektorat
Construction System /
Materials:
Concrete; brick
Building Type: Educational; school; office
Keywords: school, educational building, concrete, brick
Year of Construction: The oldest part is from 1952, annexed towards the end of the 1980s.
Currently this building houses the Tromsø University College, department of education. It is located approximately 2 kilometres south of the town centre. The school's history dates all the way back to 1826 with the College of Education at Trondenes, near Harstad. The seminary was moved to Tromsø in 1886 and in 1939, an architecture contest was held in order to design a new school building. Georg Rhode and John G. Horntved won first place. The actual building complex was not constructed until after the war, yet the overall design only experienced minor changes from the original winning proposal. In 1952, the College of Education moved into the new complex. As early as the 1970s an addition was needed, but the annex was not actualised until 1990. At this time the oldest sections of the building were also reconstructed. Architect Terje Jacobsen was responsible for both of these projects.

The building complex is situated in a northeast-southwest direction, with the higher end facing the street Mellomveien. The main section of the building is rectangular in form and lies across a slope in the terrain. Three narrows wings protrude from the main section, one towards the northeast, one towards the southwest and one towards the southeast. The site is nicely situated in the terrain, which gradually slopes towards the south. The building complex is white plastered, three-storied and all of the sections terminate with a saddle roof. The new building from 1990, which is covered in brick, is located northeast from the old school. They are connected via an underground passageway.
Literature: Byggekunst 11/1939 pp. 207-212
Ferdigmelding 401/1990 Tromsø Lærerhøgskole, Oslo 1990
Publisher: The University of Tromsø, 16.12.2004
Author: H.S
Photographer: J.M.B 2003



Contact  » About the Architecture Guide  »
Academic Responsibility: Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences and Education, Department of Culture and Literature
Developed and arranged by The University Library of Tromsø
© 2004 - The University Library of Tromsø

recept

Powered by 4images 1.7
Copyright © 2002 Website