Free Web Counter
english  norwegian 


NORDLAND - TROMS - FINNMARK - SVALBARD

 Harstad rådhus

 
Harstad rådhus ( Harstad Town Hall)
Address: Hans Egdes gate 14, Harstad
[View map]
Architect: Morseth & Wiel Gedde; Arkitekt mnal-npa Gunnar Lund
Client: Harstad Municipality
Construction System /
Materials:
Concrete; ceramic tiles
Building Type: Town hall; offices; fire station
Keywords: town hall, concrete, ceramic tiles, tower, functionalism
Year of Construction: 1953, expanded in the early 1980s
The town hall is located in the town centre, just above the park Generalhagen. Before the town hall was built, in the 1950s, there were a number of distinctive wooden buildings in this area. Today the buildings surrounding the town hall are a mixture of both older and newer wooden buildings and newer office buildings.

Today this entire district, so to speak, is allocated to the town hall along with a car park. The original building from 1953 is located down by the streets Hans Egedesgate and Verftsgata. In the beginning of the 1980s the town hall was annexed with an addition which is nearly as large as the building from the 1950s. The new section extends upwards the street Verftsgata and has a shorter wing along the street Asbjørn Selsbanesgate. The main entrance is located on the south side of the building. In a sense it functions as a visual link between the old and the new part of the building.
Literature: Brun, Ola og Jim Myrstad "Der avgjørelser tas - Bylandskap Harstad 100 år 2004" in Harstad Tidende 19.09.03, pp. 30-31
Publisher: The University of Tromsø, 06.12.2004
Author: H.S
Photographer: T.A; H.S 2004



Contact  » About the Architecture Guide  »
Academic Responsibility: Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences and Education, Department of Culture and Literature
Developed and arranged by The University Library of Tromsø
© 2004 - The University Library of Tromsø

Powered by 4images 1.7
Copyright © 2002